Magic Potion Isopods (Armadillidium Vulgare)
Magic Potion Isopods (Armadillidium Vulgare)
Magic Potion Isopods For Sale
One of the most popular Japanese isopods, the magic potion isopods, originates from the Mediterranean region. These medium to large-sized species are arguably beginner-friendly and make a great fit for display setups. They are visually striking. They require low maintenance and upkeep. Thus, high-end magic potion isopods are one of the most unique and fascinating isopod species that can be kept as pets.
Magic Potion Isopods: A Glimpse
- Origin: Japan
- Scientific Name: Armadillidium vulgare
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- Size: Up to 1.6 Centimeters
- Rarity: Low/ Medium
- Temperature: 60℉ to80℉
- Humidity: 10% to 60%
- Favorite Foods: Grasses, Lichen, Decaying Wood
Magic Potion Isopods: An Overview
Magic Potion isopods are well-known to be a great addition to the terrarium and vivarium setups. These Mediterranean natives are acclaimed by collectors and enthusiasts alike for their mesmerizing colors.They make an excellent choice for beginners. They have colors resembling the magical hues of a potent potion. They possess natural scavenging abilities. They help in breaking down the waste within an enclosure.
Being Mediterranean natives, Magic potion isopods grow in moist environments where there is fresh water in excess. They need to be grown in groups as they are social creatures. They possess many features and behaviors. You can keep them in many different types of habitats, such as plastic enclosures, glass enclosures, vivariums, and terrariums. They are also known to consume their own molts.
Magic potion isopods feed on many different types of foods. They can eat a variety of different foods such as fruits, vegetables, decaying matter, meat, protein, etc. You must provide a varied diet to these isopods to ensure they receive all the essential nutrients to survive. A balanced humidity level is necessary. You can regularly mist the enclosure to maintain a balanced humidity level.
Magic Potion Isopods: Basic Care
You can use the following instructions and tips to provide the best care to the Magic Potion isopods.
- You can use plastic enclosures, glass enclosures, vivariums, and terrarium habitats for housing Magic Potion isopods.
- Maintain the container’s temperature within 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
- There should be a balanced relative humidity between 10 to 60 percent inside the enclosure.
- You can use a substrate to regulate the moisture level for the isopods within the enclosure. Make sure it consists of nutritional content to ensure optimal health.
- Don’tkeep the enclosure in direct light.
- Select more arid setups to keep the isopods. A few holes on the sides of the enclosure can help get the air moving.
- You can feed these isopods forest materials such as leaf litter, decaying wood, fish food supplements, calcium supplements, fruits, vegetables, small amounts of meat and protein, fungus, and other organic materials available in the environment.
Magic Potion Isopods: Feeding
Magic potion isopods are detrivores. They feed on food like decaying plant matter, vegetables, fruits, and small amounts of meat and protein. They also feed on decaying wood, leaf litter, etc.
Magic Potion Isopods are notoriously bold and active in comparison to other isopods. You can use supplements such as calcium and fish food to help maintain a balanced diet for them.
One mistake that all Magic Potion Isopod owners should avoid is overfeeding. In moist environments, any leftover food can deteriorate rapidly and encourage mold growth. This can disturb the nutritional balance within the enclosure. This is why you should always feed these isopods with the right amount of food so that they can finish off in one feeding session.
Magic Potion isopods crave food that is rich in calcium. However, you can always feed these omnivores with fruits, decaying plant matter, and vegetables.
Magic Potion Isopods: Appearance and Behaviour
- Magic Potion isopod is very small in size. It can grow up to 1.6 centimeters in length.
- These isopods have distinctive patterns on their back. Their bodies exhibit natural hues just like any magic potion usually would.
- These isopods easily curl themselves up into a tight ball in order to protect their underbellies, which are relatively soft.
- These isopods have the extraordinary ability to regenerate their lost limbs, similar to other crustaceans and isopods.
- These isopods are active and social animals. They can be commonly seen bonding and interacting with other isopods within the enclosure.
- These are fascinating and unique species. They help break down decaying and recycle organic matter, making them one of the best decomposers.
- These isopods have milky white bodies with dark and yellow colored spots. They are purely white in the beginning. As the individuals mature, they develop multi-colored spots.
- They are hardy and a joy to keep. They are low-maintenance and need minimal upkeep. They make an exciting visual spectacle.
Magic Potion Isopods: Habitat
Magic Potion isopods prefer drier environments, but you will need a balance of moist and dry environments for them to thrive. They need proper ventilation, so make sure that their enclosure has enough holes to ensure the air keeps moving.
These isopods are more suitable for arid setups. However, many pet owners recommend you keep them in tropical terrariums to help them thrive. They can handle almost anything from dry to moist environments.
They make great bioactive cleaners. Their burrowing activities help to refresh and replenish the environment within the closure. They help to enrich the soil. They promote healthy plant growth.
Also, you can always set up their hydration station in the corner to ensure medium humidity within the enclosure.
Magic Potion Isopods: Substrate Mix
The substrate mix you select is important because it will help the isopods maintain their moisture levels.You can use coco coir and sphagnum moss as the base. Then, you can supplement earthworm and orchid bark castings for fertilizing nutrients.
Given their detritivores nature, adding peat moss and a layer of leaf litter into the substrate mix will enable them to maintain moistness within the enclosure.
Magic Potion Isopods feed on decomposing organic material. Make sure your substrate mix consists of something rich in nutritional value. A tropical terrarium substrate will serve as a great starting point for you.